Located on Maui's West Side between popular Ka'anapali and the luxury resort of Kapalua. Prices are a bit lower here. Family friendly smaller resorts with nearby shopping and small coves with private beaches abound off Lower Honoapi'ilani Road. The Napili-Kahana-Honokawai area offers some gorgeous beaches farther from the action but easily accessible to it. The West Side has a bit more wind and rain than the South Shore, but not enough to interfere with that golf game or jet ski. This is the preferred area for many honeymooners.
Views of the islands of Lanai and Molokai predominate. Swim with turtles, take a catamaran or other snorkel cruise to Molokini from the harbor in Lahaina. The Kapalua West Maui Airport (JHM) is actually adjacent to Honokowai & Kahana. It services small, private plane traffic, commercial propeller air carriers and commuter/air taxi aircraft only. Mokulele Airlines offers scheduled service to Honolulu several times a day. Their Flight map shows direct service to Kona (Big Island) and Ho'olehua (Molokai)
Many of the condos here are older and have been favorite destinations for years for the repeat renters who abound. Often when the South Shore is sold out, you can still find accommodations on the West side. There are just more condos here.
To learn more about the condos just south in Kaanapali CLICK HERE
To learn more about the condos just north in Kapalua CLICK HERE
Napili -Kahana - Honokowai Notes
- These West Maui resorts between Ka'anapali & Kapalu are part of one of Hawaii's premier vacation destinations.
- Wikipedia says the area encompasses 4.286 sq miles of which 2.6 square miles is land and 1.7 square miles, or 38.35%, is water. At the 2010 census the population was 7,261
- Ka'anapali Beach is minutes away and often mentioned as one of the best beaches in the world.
- Honokowai is a perfect area for sun seekers wanting miles of sandy beaches. Honokowai Beach Park is a favorite.
- On the West Side you will find many great swimming beaches, you can snorkel or swim with turtles too. Kahana & Napili offer smaller cove style beaches at many resorts.
- There are 4 Championship Golf Courses along this side of the island. Condos from Napili to Honokowai offer easy access to both Ka'anapali and Kapalua courses.
- Multiple major luxury hotels are located Kaanapali and offer superb dinning experiences.
Development of the Kaanapali Beach Resort began in the 1960s, on mile-long Kaʻanapali Beach on the western shore of Maui. It has a total area of 6.3 square miles of which 4.9 is land and 1.3 is water.
Honokowai and Napili are beautiful with lush green mountains. They offer easy access to Lahaina (fun historic tourist town with shopping, restaurants and boat harbor). Ka'anapali Beach is the luxury area here. There are several large hotels with elaborate pools, grounds and lobbies, plus a couple large luxury condos. All of the hotels and condos in the Kaanapali area are within walking distance of each other, restaurants, beach activities, snorkeling, and the Whalers Village shopping center.
Your mailing address when staying in this area is Lahaina - don't be confused - you are not in the TOWN of Lahaina, that’s just the closest post office. All of the hotels and condos on the west side of Maui have Lahaina mailing addresses, but few are in Lahaina. You do pass through Lahaina to get to other parts of the island, including the airport. Traffic through Lahaina is often very congested, especially at rush hour so plan accordingly. There is now a By-Pass for most of Lahaina but traffic still backs up on either side of it. Planning your time is also important when heading to the airport. An accident on the highway can cause the road to close for up to 3 hours!!!.. I like to head out early - check my bags and then head to Mama's Fish House (Paia) or Hailimaile General Store (Makawawo) for a good by meal - then I'm sure I'll make my flight.